To educate means to communicate and help the dog develop its social and cognitive abilities.
Before starting any kind of educational path it is important to set the ten rules to be the leader of the pack, the alpha dog:
1) ALWAYS BE THE FIRST TO EAT
2) IGNORE OR ACTIVELY DISCOURAGE BEHAVIORS YOU DON’T WANT YOUR DOG TO HAVE (jump all over the place, etc…)
3) ALWAYS GO THROUGH DOORS AND NARROW PASSAGES FIRST (back and forth)
4) DENY ACCESS TO IMPORTANT PLACES IN THE HOUSE (sofa, bedroom, etc…)
5) NEVER ALLOW EQUAL OR DOMINANT POSITIONS (for example when a dog sits on our foot)
6) TRAIN AND TEACH POSITION OR GIVE COMMAND
7) DECIDE WHERE TO PLAY AND BEGINNING AND ENDING OF THE GAME ACTIVITY.
8) SHORT WALKS BUT WITH RULES (3 AND 6 )
9) FROM 3 TO 6 MONTHS TEACH WHAT IS WRONG WITH A VERY AUTHORITATIVE “NO” AND WHAT IS RIGHT WITH “GOOD …”
10) THE REAL PUNISHMENT IS THE SEPARATION FROM THE PACK OR THE IMPOSITION OF A POSITION BUT ALWAYS FAR FROM THE PACK AND WITHOUT GAMES.
After these simple rules, your dog will see you as the leader of the pack and will be ready and willing to be educated and trained.
Step 1 Puppy education
Contact me for information or to request online advice.